Sunday, September 9, 2012

Wheels Down and Gear Check

I'm pecking away on an iPad, but will attempt to convey the last twenty four hours and I know exactly where to begin; at the very first step towards this trip.  I briefly outlined today in my mind and it's embarrassingly apparent that the list of things I neglected outweighs any other list.  For your amusement, here're the heavy hitters where all I could do was laugh and watch as things unfolded;

First, keeping in mind I'm a professional traveler, I missed my flight from Nashville because I didn't check revised flight times before I left.  In a nut shell, leaving on the next flight out to lagwardia I caught a cab to JFK just in time to get back on track.  There was other typical late flights and missed connections on my way to Geneva but nothing I feel shamed about.

Second, the variatable cornucopia of items left or forgotten has been staggering so far.  For instance, not sure why I thought the best place to pick up a trail map was at the trail head, but as of now every shop is sold out of trail maps.  It's just hiking in a loop, how hard could it be? An outlet adapter.  I can close my eyes and picture Dennis handing me the adapter and my next thought was, "best put it in this drawer for safe keeping." I suppose it's safe.  Copy of my trail itinerary I've spent the last four months piecing together? Naw, should have all that memorized.

Third, although I'm not convinced I could help this situation, is my inability to get a borrowed cell working and rentable cell phones being sold out the few places I looked.

As a side note, while standing in London Q's it seems that either I'm doing something wrong or that people in the country have become desensitized to the lack of personal space.  I can't stand still without having some guy so close to me that he could rest his chin on my shoulder.

On the bright side, I'm sitting in a valley on a porch of a restaurant drinking un cafe with creme having just watched the sun set fifty yards from the trail head.  I'll see about loading some pictures...and right on que that clap of thunder is my sign to try and get some rest.

PS, not so good with font.

Here're those pics.
Amanda's house.

  
View from my hotel.

Swiss Alps with interesting church.

Pizzeria near my hotel.  Tried to order sweet tea, ended up drinking hot water with dinner.

Sheffer.

Link to TMB Day 0 pics, via Picasa.

No comments:

Post a Comment