Friday, September 14, 2012

TMB Day 5

La Peule was enjoyable, maybe too much so as I found myself lingering to a late start.  Today's hike began with a variant, as recommended by my trusty guide book and a cow farmer with aggressive hand gestures.  The trail followed the valley, ending at La Fouly, with out event.  Fortunate for me, the bus leaving La Fouly arrived fifteen minutes later taking me to Champex

Taking the bus at this point has been my plan all along, allowing me to bypass the next nine miles of wooded trail, with no mountains or glaciers and described by my guide book as the easiest section.  The time I save here will be spent hiking alpine miles during the next couple legs.
Waiting at the bus stop, being a smelling foreigner.

I arrived at my intended Shelter, Arpette about a forty minute walk passed Champex along the variant trail.  When I walked in the place was full of older couples having driven up for lunch.  The weather was amazing and wanting to protect the badass image I'd been cultivating the last few days, I decided to keep walking.








The keep walking part involved an ascent of Fenetre d' Arpette, the highest point on the TMB.  One of my more careless moments as the ascent and descent were snow and ice covered and I had no practical plan B or informed any hikers that we're familiar to me.  The trail brought me extremely close to the glacier du Trient, allowing me to hear the croaks and groans.  Besides several moments that made me glad I was alone, the hike ended on a mental low note.  The pain from my ankle took me out of the TMB spirit, but I still managed my version of a friendly smile and a hearty bonjour!

Tonight the dormitory is ten or so to a room with shared showers.  As I was sitting outside the sound of cow bells from a nearby flock of beeves was echoing off the valley walls.  I'm hoping that my roommates tonight don't snore and my ankle Wolverine heals itself.

Dinner tonight was good; first cream of vegetable soup, small bit of chicken with assorted veggies and French fries and finally really good Italian icecream and coffee.  Tomorrow, I'll be hiking too Tre Le Champ.  Two more nights.

Hotel Tre Le Champ

Side story; I've been known to accept foody gifts from nature along the trail, in varying conditions.  On this day I found a bite size morsel of trail food left about by another hiker.  Before rash judgments are thrown around,  the dirt is was laying on was clean and I’d been without lunch and was due a snack break.



Trail Magic

Link to TMB Day 5 photos, via Picasa.

No comments:

Post a Comment