Wednesday, September 12, 2012

TMB Day 1

Woke up this morning to a granola, berry and juice breakfast, very enjoyable.  In an attemp to allow for longer variants further down the trail, I decided to take the cable car to Bellevue saving myself a couple miles of ascent hiking in the trees.  Once on the trail I was happy to see that it was well marked.  The only challenging moments during this section of the hike to Col de Tricot was navigating the ant line of senior citizens.
Shortly before Col de Tricot, looking up at Glacier de Bionnasaay and a helping of aiguilles.

 The descent to Refuge Miage was brutal and is where I stopped for a four dollar bottle of Nestea, the boiled egg I saved from breakfast and some left over chocolate from my layover at JFK.
My view during lunch.  Never mind cutting off the mountain top to include my boiled egg in the pic...real pro.

Allow me to break the suspense, yes I did get lost and a cop whome I can only hope accidentally missed shaving the hair immediately around his lips had to point me in the right direction.  I imagine I'll get lost again, I've accepted this as a reality of life long ago.


La Frasse, outside Contamines.  Thought Amanda would like these.

Cool church Contamines.

Notre Dame de la Gorge

Couple residents outside Notre Dame. 


Meet an English speaking father and son hiking while at this nights shelter, Refuge Nant Borrant.   It's been nice having others around I could easily communicate with.  I believe they're both heading to the same shelter that I am tomorrow, but are getting off the trail for a shorter hike the following day.

No matter how lost I was, todays weather was perfect allowing me to hike further than planned, ending with a hot shower and a couple cold beers.

The weather forecast is looking like rain for the next couple days starting around midday tomorrow.  Weather permitting I'll be sumitting one of two highest points on the trail, gaining over 8500 feet, hiking about 14 miles and getting ahead on my itinerary by a day.  I'm shooting for Rifugio Elisabetta, but have a plan B if I'm feeling particularly lazy.  As I'm writing this on my bed in the refuge, the only two other guys sleeping in the room are both snoring.  Luckily I have a set of SSR issued ear plugs.

No comments:

Post a Comment