Saturday, September 15, 2012

TMB Day 6

As I get closer to the end of the trail, I've noticed that refuges are more accessible by tourists making the evenings more impersonal and less of an opportunity of experiencing other cultures.  Tonight was comprised of mostly loud American tourists who were bused in, all intent on the world within arms reach.  I'd recommend avoiding Hotel de la Forclaz, possibly hiking the extra thirty minutes past to Trient.

Another late start, the climb up and over Col de Balme and Aig des Posettes are some of my last climbs in the alps.  The weather has been better than expected.  Today along with the hike back into my starting point, Les Houches is said to be amazing by my guide book and those hiking the TMB in the opposite direction.



The thought of only two more summits once I left Possettes made me linger at the top and take a snoozer laying out in the sun.  The hiked down toTre le Champs was uneventful.  Overall, today was easy and feel I could have finished by hiking all the way out if pressed.  Tomorrow I'll include a day hike to Lac Blanc on my way to the final refuge.  A picture of this lake started my interest in this hike some two years ago and wouldn't seem complete without a visit.

The refuge at Tre Le Champs is best described as a tree house from Never-Neverland.  Low ceilings, narrow hallways, all wooden material with few straight lines and bendy walk ways, there's a bed tucked away around ever corner and offset into walls.  Very interesting.  My room has the balcony, I expect traffic but am of the mind set that nothing can ruin today.









Swiss pic of a certified BA, traversing a glacier around 1943.  As pointed out to me by a couple of British gentleman: "...while the rest of the bloody world was at war." - Brit 1.  "Well what do ya expect Michael, he's Swiss."  - Brit 2.


1 comment:

  1. Since there is no Sunday post, we are assuming you made it off the trail safely and are having your ankle fused back together by the Hadron Collider at CERN.

    Mandy

    ReplyDelete